Sunday, October 18, 2009

Soccerproject Season 31 Update

With 23 matches played, Walcott United is looking decent, challenging for the top positions. 17 wins of 23 in G division may not be the most pleasing record for the team in its history, having been crowned G-division champions twice before making swift returns by relegation.

However, this is a team in peril having been mildly managed the previous season. The target for the team this season is to consolidate and finish in the top 5, without promotion, so that the team finances can be boosted, as well as for the team spirit to be kept up with good results, as the team requires frequent shuffles.

FC Prozna is looking very strong, with a vast 7 point lead at the top of the table. Their manager must be determined to deliver swift results. As I had predicted at the start of the season (not penned down though), Dynamo Stranska has a stronger team than mine and should do rather well with proper management. Now they are sitting third, a point in front of my team before our crunch match on Monday.

I will put out a strong team, but the team is hampered by the absence of first-choice RM Jeff Cavanagh, always a strong presence in midfield, due to pneumonia. He will be out for 4 days. Whether or not we can win this, I think it is a 50-50 probability.

Moving on to the transfers made during the season, I think it has to some extent stabilised the financial stability. Just like how the real world is starting to move out of recession.

I had sold 2 players, an RF and an RM, for a combined profit of 1 million dollars. Both players are aged around 20-22, rather youthful, but only such players can be sold for some profit. As my team is already rather weak in numbers, I made 2 quick instant purchases for a total of 700K expenditure. Welcome LB Danielson and LF Marek Waga. Although both players are unlikely to be heroic for the team over the long term, they remain essential to boost the numbers.

I have purchased a 21-year-old Dutch CB whose skills have maxed already at 77% overall. This is rather decent, but again not a long-term solution when my first-choice CBs David Jindrisek and Thomas Lenko retire. But he cost quite a bargain at 250K.

I am still at 358K in finances, but a pending sale of a promoted youth player CB Damien Giresse to my friend, who manages the club "____". Not authorized to use his team name yet, but I shall call it SP. The sale would be 150K according to a pact we made, as I was in sympathy of his squad with just 15 players, grossly insufficient and weak finances as well. Unless an offer of 600K or above comes in, which is unlikely. I do think the player I bought is better than this I am selling :D

Moving on, I am happy with the progress of 2 of my youth players, namely CF Matt Idangar and RM Wilson Mathis. I hope they will be good enough to replace my ageing stars.

As a collective note, I apologize for the extended period of inactivity. An announcement will be that I will be expanding the scope of the blog to Singapore sports instead of just soccer! Good news I would say. And, Walcott United will be facing a testing stretch of 3 important games, which could mean the team finish 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th. I am targeting 3rd.

No comments: